IFComp is reaching the end of its judging period–if you want to rate games, you have 24 hours left. And since you need to rank at least 5 games for your votes to count, here are my top 5 recommendations. (Disclaimer: I did not play all the games, and recommendations are subject to my personal taste.)
- Midnight. Swordfight. : If you only play one IFComp entry this year, make it this one. Unconventional structure, rich and bizarre imagery, and multiple endings to unlock. Just go play it so I don’t have to come up with a description that does it justice.
- Brain Guzzlers From Beyond! : This one, on the other hand, is more silly and fun. But execution is everything, and it’s well-designed, well-written silly fun.
- Scarlet Sails : I may be unduly influenced here by my love of pirates, but… yeah, pirates.
- Cape : If you’re a fan of Daredevil, this is probably for you.
- Map : Unusual combination of parser-style exploration with a choice-based story about changing the past.
Edit: Results are in! Congratulations to Brain Guzzlers From Beyond on taking first place!